Wednesday, July 9, 2008

1st ChemoTreatment

So I am done and it was not all I had worked myself up for.

First thing they did was take my vitals and to poke a JUMBO thumb tack looking thing into my port. It did not hurt any more that a normal IV but the pressure required made my stomach turn a bit. They said they will rotate ports (because I have 2) so one side is not TOO sore. And, if it gets bad, they can prescribe a numbing cream I would apply before arriving. Once the Thumb tack was in, they took blood to test for blood count and other important stuff and then attached a tube. They flushed it and clipped it and sent me to find a seat.

There are recliners with IV poles all around the room. They provided me with a fleece blanket (courtesy of the Herceptin drug company) and I sat with my book to wait. The doctor came and had me sign some forms saying I won't sue if I have a allergic reaction to one of the drugs and talked to me about harvesting some of my eggs (because the drugs can cause me to become sterile), gave me the number to a fertility clinic and then I waited some more.

After seeing that my blood count is ok they added a bag of fluids to the IV and some nausea drugs and I think a antibiotic. They also gave me a pill for nausea to take today and then one tomorrow and Thursday. When that was in me they began the drugs.

The Methotrexate is yellow, and that came first, then the clear Vinorelbine. I read some and slept some then used the restroom. After about 2 hrs of IV fluids (I did not have my watch to know exactly how long) I was done. I made followup appointments and waited for my ride. I was very hungry by that time so we stopped and I got a salad and a chicken sandwich, picked up the kids and came home.

I am feeling really good so far. I am a little tired and have a slight headache but nothing bad. they say day 2 is the worst so we will see. they also say the first time is easy and after that it gets harder so I mat not know the worst for a few weeks.

Next time I will pack some snacks. They also said that if I suck on ice chips during treatment it will help to prevent the mouth sores because it will dilute the drug secreted in my saliva. So I think I will stop at a drive through and get a cup of Ice next time as well. I will get a bag all ready "My Chemo Bag" that will carry my blanket, a small pillow, my book, snacks and candy to suck on when my mouth feels yucky. Then I will bring ice and perhaps some juice - although with all the fluids they gave me my bladder filled fast so liquids may not be a good idea!

1 comment:

devil1may2cry3 said...

Hi i am also one who suffer from desmoid tumour since my first op on fap in 2001 now i'am 26. On 2005i went for my fisrt treatment of chemotreatment for 2 month and the tumour went srinking on my abdoment
but the bad news is it grow back after 2 years of my first treament above, and on 2009 to 2010 i have to went for another treatment. Sry for my story comment. How do u keep healthy life style during chemotreatment and after treatment.
Do u have any healthy way of sharing the food information that i should take and should avoided thk my Email (